Sir Eugene Goossens was both honored and frustrated to be appointed Sydney’s Chief Conductor in 1947. Concerts could only be held in the Town Hall and this simply would not do. He immediately proclaimed plans for a grand performance hall, much to the government’s consternation. For seven years Sir Goossens persisted and for seven years the uncooperative politicians looked increasingly sheepish. Embarrassed, Premier Joseph Cahill introduced the Opera House Lotteries, which went on to raise an astounding $100 million. An international design competition was held, with the winning entry coming not from Australia as hoped, but from Danish architect Jorn Utzon. The government decided the building needed four theatres instead of two. Utzon threw up his hands in 1966 and was replaced by a team of Australian architects. It wasn’t until 1973, when the Opera House was formally opened by Queen Elizabeth, that the curtain finally closed on a drama of operatic proportions. Our Sydney Opera House is an un-silvered ornament which lets the light through its colored glass and renders it as though it truly sits on the water!